These are some of the technology prizes featured in our 2017-2018 competition. We also have $100,000 of cash grants still available specifically dedicated to research on Infantile Neuroaxonal Dystrophy and similiar diseases- see our application page for details.
$5,000 in reagent requests from our plasmid library to be used by the competing teams in crafting and executing their research proposals. This is ~80 individual plasmids or kits that come to that total in cost.
Your order will be contingent upon your institution signing a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) for the transfer. Addgene will initiate the MTA once your order has been placed. Currently most plasmids are only available to scientists affiliated with nonprofit, research organizations.
Addgene is a nonprofit, mission-driven company dedicated to facilitating collaboration and sharing in the scientific community. Addgene promotes this mission by administration of a large, robust plasmid repository. Depositing is free. There is a small fee for requests to cover the costs of storage and quality control. Our searchable database allows scientists to find what they need for their research. Addgene also provides extensive educational information and protocol support via our website and blog (blog.addgene.org).
Addgene Fast Facts
- Recommended by over 20 journals, including Cell Press, Nature and PNAS
- Plasmids from over 3,000 contributing laboratories at 500 Institutions worldwide
- >50,000 plasmids stored
- Each plasmid is sequenced to confirm key functional regions
- >700,000 plasmids shipped - ~2,500 plasmids/week
- 52% of requests are sent outside the United States to 79 different countries
- Samples shipped within 2 business days of MTA approval
Why use Addgene to request plasmids?
- Convenient: Gain access to many laboratories’ plasmids through one request
- Access: Addgene can arrange shipment to (almost) any country in the world
- Time saving: Receipt of plasmid within days after MTA approval
- Quality: Reliable source for sequenced materials
- Collaborative: Participate in our Community!
Prize: Mouse Model
Prize Description: Generation of a cohort of heterozygous animals bearing either a deletion or a point mutation in a selected gene. The service includes: generation of founder animals using the CRISPR/Cas9 technology; germline transmission of the desired mutation, and cryopreservation and storage of the line.
Taconic Biosciences has been a leading provider of research models for over 60 years. Through all six decades, we’ve had a singular mission—to create a difference in human health by providing the best, most relevant mouse and rat models to researchers in the life science community. Why? Because better models are more predictive and relevant, leading to greater insights into diseases and their treatments.
Better, more predictive models also mean fewer animals are needed to get to biological insight. Taconic embraces a high ethical standard for animal use in research, and ensures that animals in our facilities receive the highest levels of care and compassion.
- 5 free TurboKnockout vector constructions for TurboKnockout projects (valued at $8,950 each, for a total value of $44,750) [http://www.cyagen.com/us/en/service/turboknockout-gene-targeting-mouse.html]
- 5 free Rosa26 CRISPR large fragment knockin vector constructions + F1 breeding (valued at $6,850 each, for a total value of $34,250). [http://www.cyagen.com/us/en/service/crispr-based-rosa26-large-fragment-knockin-mice.html]
- 5 free transgenic vectors (up to $500 value) and preparation of DNA for injection and genotyping strategy (valued at $850 each, for a total value of $4,250) [http://www.cyagen.com/us/en/service/transgenic-mice.html]
- 10 free lentiviral vectors, up to $400 in value each (valued at $400 each, for a total of $4,000). Vectors can be easily designed with our online platform, VectorBuilder [http://www.vectorbuilder.com/design/vector/pLV_Ex]; additional Lentiviral designs can be made by selecting the appropriate vector type at [http://www.vectorbuilder.com/design]
Cyagen Biosciences is the world's largest provider of custom-designed transgenic and knockout mouse services, a leader in molecular biology tools and manufacturer of research-use stem cells and related culture reagents. Cyagen prides itself on its premium customer service: including price-matching, client access to complimentary technical consultations, full confidentiality and a 100% money-back service guarantee. We offer a "one-stop shop" tailored to all your gene research needs including BAC and PiggyBac transgenic services, CRISPR-mediated mouse and rat genome editing and our new technology,Turboknockout® - an ES cell mediated service that provides you with conditional knockout, reporter knockin and humanization mouse models in as little as 6-8 months. Cyagen recently introduced Vectorbuilder - a revolutionary new online vector construction and ordering platform that allows you to design and order your custom vectors faster and cheaper than doing it yourself. Founded in 2006, Cyagen Biosciences Inc. is a 300-employee contract research organization and cell culture product manufacturer headquartered in Silicon Valley, California, and with offices in Germany and China. Cyagen’s mission is to bring outstanding-quality research reagents, tools, and services to the worldwide biological research community at highly competitive prices.
Prize: Three-pack annual subscription to SnapGene software
Prize Description: Snapgene offers a fast and easy way to plan, visualize, and document molecular biology procedures. The streamlined interface supports a range of cloning and PCR manipulations.
Company Description: SnapGene is the first molecular biology software that is easier to use than pen and paper. Now every DNA construct made in your lab can be documented in a rich electronic format… and thanks to the free SnapGene Viewer, the files can be shared with colleagues around the world.
For more information on the company’s product, visit http://www.snapgene.com/products/snapgene/about_snapgene/
Collaborative Drug Discovery
Prize: Five year subscription to CDD Vault software for 1-5 users
Prize Description: CDD Vault is a complete platform for drug discovery informatics, hosted through an intuitive web interface. It helps your project team manage, analyze, and present chemical structures and biological assay data.
Company Description: CDD provides a modern approach to drug discovery research informatics trusted globally by thousands of leading researchers. The CDD Vault is a hosted biological and chemical database that securely manages your private and external data. CDD offers drug discovery informatics your whole project team will embrace.
Prize: PCR design and analysis software
Prize Description: Software capabilities include primer/probe design, multiplex, eliminating false positives and absolute quantification from PCR data.
Company Description: DNA Software, Inc (DNAS) is “best in class” for PCR design, particularly as it relates to multiplex and difficult targets. Currently, this process is achieved through expensive trial and error and has its limitations for the number of targets as opposed to the completely automated multiplex panel solution provided by DNAS. Not only does our software compress the time from “months to minutes” but it increases sensitivity and specificity.
In addition, DNAS provides CopyCount, a software product that provides absolute copy number and improves workflow by eliminating/reducing standard curves.