Get the Facts on Rare Diseases
What are Rare Diseases?
A Disease is rare when it affects fewer than 200,000 Americans at any given time or fewer than 1:2,000 people in Europe.
Rare Disease Facts
- 1:10 people suffer from a rare disease (U.S.)
- 30% will not live to see their 5th birthday
- Rare diseases are responsible for 35% of deaths in the first year of life
- 50% affected are children
- Affect over 300 million people worldwide
- 80% affected by approximately 350 of the roughly 7,000 rare diseases, the other 20% are afflicted by the rest of the documented rare diseases
- Costs to sequencing the genome decreased from $95,263,072 in 2001 to $4,905 in 2014
What role does Rare Genomics Institute play?
RG Helps design personalized research projects, provides expert analysis and recommendations, and connects patients to case-specific researchers for precision medicine development.